Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Masters of Horror: Homecoming

I've been listen to a number of old and current podcasts lately that have talked about this episode of Masters of Horror. One podcast raved about it while another wants to kick Joe Dante in the balls for making such a heavy handed political statement in an otherwise good zombie flick. Personally I just want to kick Joe Dante in the balls for not respecting the very people he is writing about. What do i mean by this, well here's a quick run down of the plot and I'll tell you where he went unforgivably wrong.


Here's the brief synopsis from Netflix:

"In the politicized chiller Homecoming, dead soldiers come back to life to get in one last word -- by voting in the presidential election. While the U.S. is at war overseas, a political puppet says it'd be great if the martyrs of war could return to express their gratitude for serving their country. Unfortunately, he gets his wish, and the dead aren't all that grateful."


The political puppet beign spoke of is David Murch who is a political consultant for the President of the United States. He also brings up his deceased brother who was killed in Viet Nam. This little bit add a small side story and my biggest complaint. Murch and his mother go to his brother's grave and it clearly says "Lance Corporal Phillip Murch". Later (SPOILER ALERT) when his brother comes back he is wearing an Army uniform with a big 1st Calvary patch on his left arm.

Call any Marine and Soldier and your libel to get a swift kick in the rear.

I grew up in a military town. My father, uncle and two of my cousin are Marines. I have several friends in various branches of the military all of whom have been to various parts of the Middle East. So it pisses me off when a director can't take 20 mintues out of the day to fix something that anyone who has ever been close to the military would notice.

You can say it's trivial but for me, it matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment